Colorado Allows First Gay Divorce
BY Michelle Garcia
July 31 2013 6:39 PM ET
Colorado's first gay divorce was finalized Monday, marking a precedent for gay and lesbian couples who were married in other states but reside in Colorado.
Juli Yim and Lorelei Jones married in 2009 in Massachusetts. However Yim said their relationship went sour quickly. After reconnecting with childhood friend Suzie Calvin, the two are now engaged. They plan to get married next year either in another state, or in Colorado if the marriage equality ban is lifted.
“In a way, it’s not necessarily a great thing to be celebrating,” Yim said to the Coloradoan. “By the same token, I have been trying for years to take care of this but have not had an opportunity to live in a state that allowed that.”
The new civil union law treats same-sex marriages performed outside of the state just as a heterosexual couple's marriage. The law requires that new residents must wait 90 days before filing for divorce. Yim and Jones's legal split was the first of seven, so far, to have been filed in Colorado among gay and lesbian couples after the new law went into effect on May 1.
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: Cyndi Lauper and Friends Work to Bring LGBT Homeless Youth Home for the Holidays
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM