Social Security Paying Survivor Benefits to Married Gay, Lesbian Couples
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 16 2013 5:08 PM ET
Married gay and lesbian Americans whose same-sex spouse has recently died are now eligible to collect that late spouse's social security survivor benefits, according to an announcement today from the Social Security Administration.
"I am pleased to announce that, effective today, Social Security is processing some widow’s and widower’s claims by surviving members of same-sex marriages and paying benefits where they are due," said acting commissioner Carolyn W. Colvin in a statement. "In addition, we are able to pay some one-time lump sum death benefit claims to surviving same-sex spouses. As I stated shortly after the Supreme Court decision on Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act, our goal is to treat all Americans with dignity and respect."
Colvin encouraged anyone who believes they might be eligible to receive a late spouse's Social Security benefits to apply immediately for access to those benefits, and she directed those with questions to visit the Social Security Administration's information page for same-sex couples. Today's announcement follows a similar one Colvin made in August noting that the administration was paying some retirement benefits to legally married same-sex couples as it worked to bring its division into full compliance with the change in laws following June's landmark rulings at the Supreme Court.
The Internal Revenue Service also issued new guidance today surrounding greater tax equity for married same-sex couples who were previously unable to list a spouse on their employer's insurance plan. See that latest notice here.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM