Antigay Utahans Propose Uprising Against Marriage
BY Michelle Garcia
January 05 2014 12:48 PM ET
As one man claims to be in the midst of a hunger strike to halt same-sex couples from the right to marry in Utah, a former sheriff says it's time for an uprising to bring back the state' ban on marriage equality.
Trestin Meacham had already reportedly lost 25 pounds as of Friday, according to the New York Daily News. Meacham, a devout Mormon, said he has only consumed water and occasional vitamin pills since December 21.
"I cannot stand by and do nothing while this evil takes root in my home," the man wrote on Facebook. "Some things in life are worth sacrificing one's [health] and even life if necessary."
Former Graham County, Ariz., Sheriff Richard Mack told a packed audience on Saturday that state officials should feel empowered to deny marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples.
“The way you take back freedom in America is one county at a time. The sheriffs need to defend the county clerks in saying, ‘No, we’re not going to issue marriage licenses to homosexuals,’” Mack said according to Fox News in Salt Lake City.
Watch the report on the meeting in Highland below:
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out 32 min 7 sec ago
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM