WATCH: Sharon Gless for Marriage Equality in Fla.
BY Trudy Ring
February 23 2014 9:37 PM ET
LGBT ally Sharon Gless has recorded a video in support of marriage equality in Florida, where she has had a home for 20 years.
The video is in support of Equality Florida’s Get Engaged campaign, with which Gless has been active for some time. “I can’t imagine what my life would be like if someone told me I couldn’t marry the person I love,” she says in the video. “Yet that is what is going on in the state of Florida every day, when they tell thousands of men and women that they cannot have what want we all want.”
Gless has had many LGBT fans ever since she played tough police detective Chris Cagney in the 1980s TV series Cagney & Lacey. She also played the super-supportive mother of a gay son in the U.S. version of Queer as Folk and starred in the 2009 film-festival favorite Hannah Free, about a longtime lesbian couple.
Equality Florida will honor Gless and the six couples suing Florida for equal marriage rights with the Voice for Equality Award at the organization’s Annual Miami Gala March 16.
Equality Florida has joined the suit, in which the couples are represented by the National Center for Lesbian Rights and private attorneys. The organizations are holding a town hall meeting via telephone Monday at 6:30 p.m. Eastern to discuss the next steps toward marriage equality in Florida. Go here to register, and watch Gless’s video below.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 1 hour 38 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 2 hours 4 min ago
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 2 hours 9 min ago
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 2 hours 32 min ago
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 2 hours 35 min ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 5:49 PM