WATCH: Co-Workers Help Gay Google Employee Propose to Boyfriend
BY Jase Peeples
April 29 2013 1:29 PM ET
When Michael sat down for lunch with his boyfriend Shaun Aukland last week, he had no idea he was about to get the surprise of a lifetime—because Aukland had not only planned to propose to Michael, but he’d also gotten the entire Google London office to help him pop the question.
According to Huffington Post, both men have been in a long-distance relationship with one another for over two years with Aukland living in San Francisco and Michael in London. However, when Aukland recently traveled to London on business and found himself working out of the Google London office, he suggested Michael join him for lunch in the company’s breakroom. Shortly after Michael sat down for lunch, a group of co-workers began singing “Marry You” by Bruno Mars and within moments the entire lunchroom was clapping and singing along. Then Aukland got down on bended knee and popped the question.
"Three years ago I sent you a note when we met that said, 'You're neat and I like you. Will you come to San Francisco?'" Aukland said. "And with an eye on what we've been through and the many things we will go through, today, with the help of every person that knew this was going to happen and some pretty awesome colleagues, I want to say you're amazing and I love you. Will you come to San Francisco and marry me?"
Aukland revealed on YouTube that Michael said “yes!” and that he hopes the upcoming decisions by the Supreme Court will allow him the opportunity to sponsor Michael for U.S. citizenship so that his future husband will soon be able to join him in America.
Watch the entire marriage proposal in the video below.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon Like This
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM