WATCH: Prop. 8 Plaintiffs Stier and Perry Marry
BY Trudy Ring
June 28 2013 9:26 PM ET
Cheers went up throughout San Francisco City Hall when Kris Perry and Sandy Stier, plaintiffs in the case that brought down California’s Proposition 8, were married there today.
California attorney general Kamala Harris performed the ceremony and pronounced the Berkeley couple “spouses for life” shortly before 5 p.m., with one of their twin sons serving as ring bearer. The other plaintiffs in the suit, Paul Katami and Jeffrey Zarrillo of Burbank, were to be married at 6:15 p.m. at Los Angeles City Hall.
The weddings became possible after the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit issued an order today allowing marriage licenses to be granted to same-sex couples immediately, instead of there being a 25-day wait after the Wednesday U.S. Supreme Court decision striking down the proposition, which amended California’s constitution to ban same-sex marriage.
“By joining the case against Proposition 8, they represented thousands of couples like themselves in their fight for marriage equality,” Harris said during Stier and Perry’s ceremony. “Through the ups and downs, the struggles and the triumphs, they came out victorious.”
Watch video of the ceremony below.
See more photos from the ceremony on the following pages.
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM