Newspaper Loses Subscribers Over Marriage Endorsement
BY Michelle Garcia
November 03 2012 12:58 PM ET
After endorsing marriage equality, the editors of the Swift County Monitor-News in Benson, Minn., report losing a handful of subscribers.
As the Minnesota Post's David Brauer points out, the loss of five subscribers to a base of 3,000 has the same proportional weight of the Post losing 1,000 Sunday subscribers. Publisher Reed Anifson said that Swift County's population decline makes each subscriber even more crucial.
Anifson explained why they ran a pro-gay editorial in his town of religious devotees: “We open the editorial page to other points of view, and [someone] wrote, ‘What the Bible said, you can’t go against it.’ Well, I have one very blue and one very brown eye. According to Exodus, I cannot approach the altar; I have a defect. I thought, ‘What if people with two different-color eyes were treated the same way as gays?’”
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- WATCH: Miley Cyrus Features LGBT Youth and Drag Queens in VMA's Closing Number
- Jenny Boylan Tells Caitlyn Jenner: 'Don't Be a Stupid' Woman
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Ellen DeGeneres and Gap Launch New Clothing Line for Girls That Challenges Stereotypes
- WATCH: How This 12-Year-Old Lacrosse Player Found His Courage