Newspaper Loses Subscribers Over Marriage Endorsement
BY Michelle Garcia
November 03 2012 11:58 AM ET
After endorsing marriage equality, the editors of the Swift County Monitor-News in Benson, Minn., report losing a handful of subscribers.
As the Minnesota Post's David Brauer points out, the loss of five subscribers to a base of 3,000 has the same proportional weight of the Post losing 1,000 Sunday subscribers. Publisher Reed Anifson said that Swift County's population decline makes each subscriber even more crucial.
Anifson explained why they ran a pro-gay editorial in his town of religious devotees: “We open the editorial page to other points of view, and [someone] wrote, ‘What the Bible said, you can’t go against it.’ Well, I have one very blue and one very brown eye. According to Exodus, I cannot approach the altar; I have a defect. I thought, ‘What if people with two different-color eyes were treated the same way as gays?’”
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 32 min 20 sec ago
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 1 hour 23 min ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 1 hour 31 min ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 2 hours 11 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM