GLAAD to Fox News: You're on Thin Ice
BY Neal Broverman
March 23 2013 6:32 PM ET
Rich Ferraro, GLAAD's vice president of communications, wants Fox News to improve their coverage of LGBT issues and may disinvite some of the network's personalities from GLAAD events until that happens.
In reference to Fox News's Kimberly Guilfoyle and Jamie Colby attending the recent GLAAD Media Awards in New York, Ferraro told Media Matters: "If Kimberly and Jamie expect to attend future GLAAD events, they will first need to sit down with us to discuss Fox News's embarrassing, biased. and misinformed coverage of LGBT issues. The invitation is open. Fox News' track record on LGBT issues is abysmal, and it makes no sense to me why any LGBT people or allies would want to be a part of that."
Ferraro later clarified his statement, saying he welcomes allies like Guilfoyle and Colby to GLAAD events, but still wants to see changes at the network. Fox News consistently allows rightwing personalities like Tony Perkins to spout off on the supposed dangers gay people bring to society, while the network's track record on transgender issues is especially terrible, with frequent insults and jokes made at the expense of trans men and women.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- Mississippi Marriage Ban Struck Down
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role
- Antigay Activist: Buy My 'No Such Thing as Gay' Book