Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
BY Neal Broverman
December 20 2013 1:03 PM ET UPDATED: December 20 2013 1:19 PM ET
Thanks to the ignorant and homophobic statements of castmember Phil Robertson, A&E reality show Duck Dynasty may be no more.
It's not A&E's decision, which only suspended Robertson for comparing gays to those who rape animals, but his other castmembers, who released a statement late Thursday saying the show will not continue without Robertson, their patriarch. Robertson is currently on "indefinite" hiatus from filming after giving an extremely homophobic interview to GQ.
"The family has spent much time in prayer since learning of A&E's decision. We want you to know that first and foremost we are a family rooted in our faith in God and our belief that the Bible is His word. While some of Phil's unfiltered comments to the reporter were coarse, his beliefs are grounded in the teachings of the Bible," read the statement. "Phil is a Godly man who follows what the Bible says are the greatest commandments: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart' and 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' Phil would never incite or encourage hate. We are disappointed that Phil has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right. We have had a successful working relationship with A&E but, as a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm. We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of Duck Dynasty. Again, thank you for your continued support of our family."
In related Duck Dynasty news that's riling the internet, it was discovered the show's creator, Scott Gurney, is a former actor who portrayed a gay porn star in the critically-acclaimed 2001 movie The Fluffer.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW 2 hours 17 min ago
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM