Mississippi News Anchor: 'Too Much' LGBT Coverage, Take a 'Gaycation'
BY Ran Aubrey Frazier
March 28 2014 3:29 PM ET
A Mississippi news anchor is tired of LGBT news coverage and thinks gays should all go on a "gaycation" en masse.
David Elliott of Biloxi's WLOX, whose professional biography claims that he is "the only WLOX anchor on the air seven days a week," made the statement on Facebook Thursday, writing, "I'm all for the LGBT community's ongoing fight for equality. I support their fight in every way. But, it seems they've been in the news too much lately."
Elliott continued, "Maybe they should take a short break. Go on gaycation ... just for the weekend. Enjoy yourselves!"
WLOX quickly distanced itself from Elliott's comments, posting on its Facebook page, "We are not happy at all with [Elliott's] post or any imagined 'free publicity.'" The station further stated its commitment "to covering news that happens in our community, and issues important to our viewers — that includes the LGBT community." However, it appears WLOX's post has since been removed. A recent search for the affiliate's response to Elliott was unsuccessful.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View