Bill Introduced for Equal Spouse Benefits for Gays in Military
BY Michelle Garcia
June 28 2012 2:27 PM ET
A bill was introduced Thursday that would provide military benefits to the same-sex spouses and children of gay and lesbian members of the armed services.
Rep. Adam Smith, the ranking Democratic member of the the House Armed Services Committee, introduced the bill, which would require the Defense and Veterans Affairs departments to recognize the legal marriages of gay service members.
The Military Spouses Equal Treatment Act of 2012 would change the definition of "spouse" in four sections of U.S. Code. Aubrey Sarvis, executive director of the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, praised the proposed legislation in a statement Thursday.
"Our nation's senior military leaders and commanders on the ground are increasingly uncomfortable with administering two classes of recognition, support, and benefits for our nation's service members â€” one of straight service members, and a different for their gay and lesbian peers," Sarvis said. "There cannot be two classes of service members, and this legislation addresses that effectively."
The step follows the official repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" in 2011, which has caused the need for several policies to now be updated to be more inclusive of openly gay service members. Speaking at the Pentagon on Tuesday, Department of Defense general counsel Jeh Johnson said the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" has exposed several inequalities between gay and straight service members that must be rectified.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 15 min 7 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 1 hour 15 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 2 hours 7 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM