A First: Pentagon Says Troops Can Wear Uniforms in Gay Pride Parade
BY Lucas Grindley
July 19 2012 5:50 PM ET
The Department of Defense has given its permission to all branches of the military to wear their uniforms while marching in a San Diego gay pride parade this weekend.
In a letter sent by Rene Bardorf, deputy assistant secretary of Defense, the Pentagon officially blessed the idea. "We hereby are granting approval for service members in uniform to participate in this year's parade," Bardorf wrote. There are two conditions — marchers are participating in their "personal capacity" and always follow the military's standards for appearance and behavior while in uniform. The ruling also only applies to this year's march in San Diego.
"Today is a great day of Pride! San Diego Pride is honored to have the privilege of celebrating our country and our servicemembers with dignity and respect," said San Diego LGBT Pride executive director Dwayne Crenshaw. “The fight for equality is not over and it is not easy, but this is a giant leap in the right direction.”
Even before "don't ask, don't tell" had been officially cleared from law, about 200 active-duty troops and veterans marched in San Diego's gay pride parade in 2011. This year, organizers say they have about 400 people signed up to participate.
See photos from last year's march.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM