Milestone: Gay Servicemen March in Pride Parade
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 18 2011 10:25 AM ET
Despite warnings that "don't ask, don't tell" is still in the process of being erased from the books, about 200 active-duty troops and veterans marched in San Diego's gay pride parade this weekend. Reports say this could be the first time gay servicemen have ever marched openly together at any pride parade in the U.S.
Crowds cheered on as members of every military branch passed by, alongside the normal contingents of drag queens, gay choirs, church groups, and more. What follows are photos from the jubilant moment. — Lucas Grindley
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Artist Spotlight: Chris von Steiner
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'