Milestone: Gay Servicemen March in Pride Parade
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 18 2011 10:25 AM ET
Despite warnings that "don't ask, don't tell" is still in the process of being erased from the books, about 200 active-duty troops and veterans marched in San Diego's gay pride parade this weekend. Reports say this could be the first time gay servicemen have ever marched openly together at any pride parade in the U.S.
Crowds cheered on as members of every military branch passed by, alongside the normal contingents of drag queens, gay choirs, church groups, and more. What follows are photos from the jubilant moment. — Lucas Grindley
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- Obama: Constitution 'Does Guarantee Same-Sex Marriage in All 50 States'
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Same-Sex Couple's Kiss Sparks U.K. Bus Driver's Antigay Rant