Milestone: Gay Servicemen March in Pride Parade
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 18 2011 9:25 AM ET
Despite warnings that "don't ask, don't tell" is still in the process of being erased from the books, about 200 active-duty troops and veterans marched in San Diego's gay pride parade this weekend. Reports say this could be the first time gay servicemen have ever marched openly together at any pride parade in the U.S.
Crowds cheered on as members of every military branch passed by, alongside the normal contingents of drag queens, gay choirs, church groups, and more. What follows are photos from the jubilant moment. — Lucas Grindley
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6