Councilman Marries Longtime Partner
BY Neal Broverman
July 29 2012 3:48 PM ET
Jimmy Van Bramer, a New York City councilman who represents portions of Queens, wed his partner, Dan Hendricks, on Saturday.
The couple issued the following statement: "We are overjoyed that so many family and friends witnessed our wedding Saturday night. For over 13 years we have been in a committed and loving relationship, yet before marriage equality passed last year, we were denied the right marry one another. At this time, we are grateful for our loving families, friends, and the numerous neighbors, constituents and even complete strangers who wished us well on our union. Our happiness at having fulfilled our dream of getting married knows no bounds. We are grateful to live in a State and City that recognize that we are equal and should not be discriminated against. And we'll redouble our efforts to make sure that all Americans can get married to the one they love."
Van Bramer, 42, is a lifelong resident of Queens, and was elected to represent the borough's 26th district in 2009.
- #TBT: Hollywood Hunks Laid Bare: 1920s-1930s
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- REPORT: Lawsuit Targets Woman Killed in Caitlyn Jenner Crash
- WATCH: How This 12-Year-Old Lacrosse Player Found His Courage
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers