Lawmaker: I'm Not a Lesbian, I'm Pansexual
BY Nazly Siadate
August 14 2012 6:54 PM ET
Mary Gonzalez, the first openly LGBT official headed toward the Texas House of Representatives, said she wanted to clarify that she is pansexual. Initial reports said that she identified as a lesbian, but a more recent interview with Gonzalez of El Paso reveals that she truly identifies as pansexual.
Originally, Gonzalez came out as bisexual at the age of 21 to her family. During her Democratic primary campaign, which she won in June, she accepted classifications as lesbian. It was only after winning the primary—with no Republican opposition in the general election—that Gonzalez felt comfortable enough to share her identity as pansexual.
Gonzalez told the Dallas Voice that she doesn’t believe in a gender binary and prefers the term pansexual, which embraces the spectrum of sexuality. “Gender identity isn’t the defining part of my attraction,” she said.
“As I started to recognize the gender spectrum and dated along the gender spectrum, I was searching for words that connected to that reality, for words that embraced the spectrum,” she said. “At the time I didn’t feel as if the term bisexual was encompassing of a gender spectrum that I was dating and attracted to.”
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 25 min 14 sec ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 1 hour 24 min ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 2 hours 25 min ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM