Lawmaker: I'm Not a Lesbian, I'm Pansexual
BY Nazly Siadate
August 14 2012 5:54 PM ET
Mary Gonzalez, the first openly LGBT official headed toward the Texas House of Representatives, said she wanted to clarify that she is pansexual. Initial reports said that she identified as a lesbian, but a more recent interview with Gonzalez of El Paso reveals that she truly identifies as pansexual.
Originally, Gonzalez came out as bisexual at the age of 21 to her family. During her Democratic primary campaign, which she won in June, she accepted classifications as lesbian. It was only after winning the primary—with no Republican opposition in the general election—that Gonzalez felt comfortable enough to share her identity as pansexual.
Gonzalez told the Dallas Voice that she doesn’t believe in a gender binary and prefers the term pansexual, which embraces the spectrum of sexuality. “Gender identity isn’t the defining part of my attraction,” she said.
“As I started to recognize the gender spectrum and dated along the gender spectrum, I was searching for words that connected to that reality, for words that embraced the spectrum,” she said. “At the time I didn’t feel as if the term bisexual was encompassing of a gender spectrum that I was dating and attracted to.”
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip 12 min 23 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 30 min 19 sec ago
- No More Bullying WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 51 min 15 sec ago
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 1 hour 8 min ago
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 1 hour 23 min ago
- Transgender Are Federal Contractors Allowed to Discriminate Against Trans People? 1 hour 34 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 1 hour 53 min ago