Antigay Allen West Concedes Defeat
BY Neal Broverman
November 20 2012 12:00 PM ET UPDATED: November 20 2012 12:55 PM ET
Allen West, a Tea Party congressman from Florida who supported "don't ask, don't tell" but opposes antidiscrimination laws, conceded defeat Tuesday to his Democratic challenger, Patrick Murphy.
West announced that he would not take further actions to contest the outcome of the closely watched election after nearly two weeks of battle. The incumbent acknolwedged that "he couldn’t surmount his 1,904-vote, or 0.58 percent, deficit," according to Politico. The difference put West just outside the 0.5 percent threshold that automatically triggers a recount of all votes.
“For two weeks since Election Day, we have been working to ensure every vote is counted accurately and fairly," said West, Politico reported. "We have made progress towards that goal, thanks to the dedication of our supporters and their unrelenting efforts to protect the integrity of the democratic process. While many questions remain unanswered, today I am announcing that I will take no further action to contest the outcome of this election.”
The Republican also congratulated Murphy, the congressman-elect in the South Florida district.
“I pray he will serve his constituents with honor and integrity, and put the interests of our nation before his own," he said.
With 100% of precincts reporting, West was more than 2,400 votes behind Democratic challenger Patrick Murphy. West demanded a recount, which showed Murphy actually gaining more votes. The Democrat, supportive of marriage equality and other gay rights, called for West to concede. Read more about the recount here.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM