Antigay Allen West Concedes Defeat
BY Neal Broverman
November 20 2012 12:00 PM ET UPDATED: November 20 2012 12:55 PM ET
Allen West, a Tea Party congressman from Florida who supported "don't ask, don't tell" but opposes antidiscrimination laws, conceded defeat Tuesday to his Democratic challenger, Patrick Murphy.
West announced that he would not take further actions to contest the outcome of the closely watched election after nearly two weeks of battle. The incumbent acknolwedged that "he couldn’t surmount his 1,904-vote, or 0.58 percent, deficit," according to Politico. The difference put West just outside the 0.5 percent threshold that automatically triggers a recount of all votes.
“For two weeks since Election Day, we have been working to ensure every vote is counted accurately and fairly," said West, Politico reported. "We have made progress towards that goal, thanks to the dedication of our supporters and their unrelenting efforts to protect the integrity of the democratic process. While many questions remain unanswered, today I am announcing that I will take no further action to contest the outcome of this election.”
The Republican also congratulated Murphy, the congressman-elect in the South Florida district.
“I pray he will serve his constituents with honor and integrity, and put the interests of our nation before his own," he said.
With 100% of precincts reporting, West was more than 2,400 votes behind Democratic challenger Patrick Murphy. West demanded a recount, which showed Murphy actually gaining more votes. The Democrat, supportive of marriage equality and other gay rights, called for West to concede. Read more about the recount here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 1 hour 9 min ago
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM