Target's Donations to Both Democrats and Republicans Questioned
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 25 2013 6:38 PM ET UPDATED: July 25 2013 9:12 PM ET
Target has donated a significant sum toward the Republican Governors Association, reports Right Wing Watch, which argues the company is then indirectly funding one the most antigay candidates in the country.
The retail giant gave $50,000 to the Republican Governors Association, an organization that contributed nearly $3 million to the campaign of Ken Cuccinelli, the Republican gubernatorial candidate in Virginia. "The company is indirectly funding one of the most extreme anti-gay culture warriors in the country," reports Right Wing Watch.
But the website also points out that Target gave to the other side, donating the same amount to the Democratic Governors Association, which backs Terry McAuliffe in the race.
As attorney general, Cuccinelli campaigned against the inclusion of sexual orientation in the nondiscrimination policies of public universities. In 2008, the conservative went so far as to claim, "when you look at the homosexual agenda, I cannot support something that I believe brings nothing but self-destruction — not only physically, but of their soul," according to the The Washington Post.
This is the first time in a long while that the Minnesota-based company has made headlines for its political contributions. In 2010, Target donated $150,000 to MN Forward, which created ads advancing another antigay gubernatorial candidate — Tom Emmer of Minnesota. The backlash prompted CEO Gregg Steinhafel to issue an apology to employees, stating “our decision affected many of you in a way I did not anticipate, and for that I am genuinely sorry.”
Google is another company recently questioned over its donations, having planned a $250 to $2,500-per-plate fundraiser for Oklahoma's antigay senator, James Inhofe, according to The Washington Post.
CLARIFICATION: An earlier version of this story did not include mention of the $50,000 donation to the Democratic Governors Association.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM