N.J.: Booker, GOP Opponent on Gay Rumors
BY Michelle Garcia
August 28 2013 11:50 AM ET
Newark, N.J., mayor Cory Booker, who is running for a U.S. Senate seat, addressed rumors that he is gay in a Washington Post profile. Booker, an LGBT ally who has campaigned for marriage equality and other policies, said he partly feels "wonderful" that there are gay rumors about him.
"Because I want to challenge people on their homophobia," he said in the Post. "I love seeing on Twitter when someone says I'm gay, and I say, 'So, what, does it matter if I am? So be it. I hope you are not voting for me because you are making the presumption that I'm straight.'"
Booker faces businessman Steve Lonegan, who later told conservative news website Newsmax that Booker's rebutting gay rumors was "kind of weird," before saying that "acting ambiguous" might help "get [Booker] the gay vote."
"As a guy, I personally like being a guy," Lonegan said. "I don't know ifd you saw the stories last year. They've been out for quite a bit now, how he likes to go out at three o'clock in the morning for a manicure and a pedicure."
Lonegan later told the Star-Ledger newspaper that he doesn't "really care about this guy's lifestyle. I care about his failed record in Newark. … He's too liberal for New Jersey and wants to bring his failed policies to the federal level."
According to the Star-Ledger, the gay rumors initially surfaced in 2002, as Booker ran a campaign to unseat Mayor Sharpe James. The former mayor's allies spread rumors about Booker's sexual orientation. Then in 2006, when asked by a voter about his sexuality, Booker said he was not gay, but would not discuss the matter further because asking that question was similar to judging a candidate's abilities based on faith or race.
- Women WATCH: Mary Lambert's Version of 'Teenage Dirtbag' is a Lesbian Love Song! 46 min 53 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill 55 min 44 sec ago
- Entertainment News TV Icon Bob Newhart Scheduled For Antigay Org Event With Rick Santorum 1 hour 16 min ago
- Military Hagel: Full National Guard To Recognize Gay Couples 1 hour 49 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Follow 24 Hours in LGBT America 2 hours 46 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: Russian Doll? 9:18 AM
- Tyler Curry Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV 7:00 AM