WATCH: Antigay Pol Says Devil's Behind His Troubles
BY Trudy Ring
February 19 2014 4:57 PM ET
Calls for antigay politician Dave Agema to resign from the Republican National Committee are the work of the devil, Agema said in a recent speech in which he made additional statements on familiar themes, such as his opposition to LGBT rights and support for Russia’s ban on “gay propaganda.”
“This is the devil’s way — this is the Democrats’ way — to split the party,” Agema, who represents Michigan on the RNC, said of demands for his resignation when he spoke to the American Decency Association, a right-wing group based in Fremont, Mich., February 7. The calls have come from as high as RNC chairman Reince Priebus, but Agema has so far resisted.
Over the past couple of years, Agema, a former Michigan state legislator, has made numerous antigay remarks in various venues, including his Facebook page and speeches to Republican groups. He has posted inaccurate, pseudo-scientific articles to Facebook, endorsed Russia’s antigay laws, and said gay men want Obamacare because they die at a young age.
He returned to these topics in his American Decency Association speech, video of which was posted to YouTube. He denounced “indoctrination” by the entertainment industry in support of LGBT rights, such as the mass wedding of same-sex and opposite-sex couples at the Grammy Awards, and said “political correctness” is seeking to stifle free speech, using the uproar over Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson’s antigay comments as a case-in-point.
Of the Russian law that prohibits “propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations to minors” — which basically criminalizes any statement of support for LGBT equality — Agema said, “We ought to have that law. … It’s a good law.” It would keep gay “pornography” and other “propaganda” out of the hands of young people, he said.
Agema also took aim at many other targets: Muslims, abortion, gun control, government spending, Obamacare, and President Obama himself. If you dare, you can watch his entire speech below.
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Third Time's a Charm for NYC Boylesque Fest
- Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out
- Hot Sheet: History Boys
- WATCH: Christian Pastors Involved in African LGBT Issues — But Not How You May Think
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM