Out Congresspeople, Republicans Pose for No H8 Campaign
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 24 2013 12:19 PM ET
Nearly 100 members of the U.S. Congress have now taken a stand for equality by participating in the No H8 campaign by photographer Adam Bouska. No H8's third installment of "No H8 on the Hill," which released photos of 67 members of Congress today, includes several out gay and bisexual congresspeople, the campaign's first senators, and the first Republican to call for LGBT equality.
"The growth of No H8 on the Hill in so short a time — from ten participating members of Congress to 98 members of Congress and two U.S. senators — proves that hearts and minds are changing across the country," said No H8 Cofounders Bouska and Jeff Parshley. "We're on the cusp of marriage equality, and we're proud to have these elected officials sending a strong, clear message of support: No Hate."
New Mexico's Martin Heinrich formally became the first U.S. senator to participate in the campaign, which now also includes Florida representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, the first Republican member of Congress to come out in support of marriage equality, also making her the first Republican to pose for the No H8 campaign.
The latest batch of "No H8 on the Hill" photos also features a striking image from Arizona representative Kyrsten Sinema, the first openly bisexual person elected to Congress, as well as California representative Mark Takano, the first openly gay person of color elected to Congress.
Keep reading to see a collection of the latest photos, in addition to each member's statement about why they chose to participate in the campaign.
“Our nation is based on the principle of equality. That is what this is all about," said Florida representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, a Republican.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 1 hour 42 min ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 2 hours 36 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM