Catholic Priest Denies Minnesota Teen Confirmation for Supporting Marriage Equality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
November 15 2012 4:37 PM ET
A Catholic teenager in Barnesville, Minn., has been denied the sacrament of confirmation after he posted a photo to Facebook opposing the state's failed effort to amend the constitution to ban same-sex marriage, reports the Star Tribune.
The Reverend Gary LaMoine at Assumption Church denied confirmation to 17-year-old Lennon Cihak after the teenager posted a photo to his personal Facebook page showing Cihak in front of a pro-marriage amendment yard sign he had altered to read "Vote NO!" The marriage amendment was rejected by Minnesota voters in this month's election.
Cihak said that friends within his confirmation class "liked" the photo on Facebook, but they were still allowed to be confirmed.
"You should be able to go to a church for support, help," Cihak told InForum. "He pushed me away."
LaMoine discovered the photo and shortly thereafter called in Cihak's mother for a private conversation, during which she says the priest informed her that Lennon would not be allowed to complete confirmation.
Cihak's mother, Shana, said her son has been going to church weekly and volunteered around the community in preparation for his confirmation this year.
"You kind of know the Catholic beliefs," Shana Cihak told InForum. "But I never thought they would deny somebody confirmation because you weren't 100%. I guess that's what shocks me."
Cihak's family, longtime members of Assumption Church, said they are now being denied communion as well. While Lennon and Shana say they will never again set foot in the church, Lennon's father, Doug Cihak, said he considers the priest a "messenger" of the church and does not hold the decision against him.
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 1 hour 3 min ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 1 hour 39 min ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 1 hour 41 min ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 2 hours 8 min ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 2 hours 39 min ago
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM