Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
BY Neal Broverman
March 16 2014 1:41 PM ET
Fred Phelps, the 84-year-old founder of Westboro Baptist Church who gained a name for himself by picketing Matthew Shepard's funeral and insisting "God Hates Fags," was removed from his own church and is about to die, according to a Facebook post from his son, Nathan.
I've learned that my father, Fred Phelps, Sr., pastor of the "God Hates Fags" Westboro Baptist Church, was ex-communicated from the "church" back in August of 2013. He is now on the edge of death at Midland Hospice house in Topeka, Kansas.
I'm not sure how I feel about this. Terribly ironic that his devotion to his god ends this way. Destroyed by the monster he made.
I feel sad for all the hurt he's caused so many. I feel sad for those who will lose the grandfather and father they loved. And I'm bitterly angry that my family is blocking the family members who left from seeing him, and saying their good-byes.
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- Sweden Is Adding a Gender-Neutral Pronoun to Its Dictionary
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'