WATCH: Music Director Says He Was Fired for Getting Engaged
BY Lucas Grindley
August 03 2014 12:30 PM ET
After 17 years as music director for a Chicago-area Roman Catholic church, Colin Collette says he was fired for getting engaged.
Collette met his partner, William Nifong, five years ago and says he had been out among the congregation. Then Nifong proposed during a trip to Rome, Collette said yes, and everything changed when they returned home.
"I would be happy to accept your resignation," the pastor at Holy Family Parish in Inverness told him, according to Collette in a video interview with the Chicago Tribune. Collette refused to resign because "I've done nothing wrong" and instead was fired.
Watch a related interview from ABC 7 below:
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died