WATCH: Music Director Says He Was Fired for Getting Engaged
BY Lucas Grindley
August 03 2014 1:30 PM ET
After 17 years as music director for a Chicago-area Roman Catholic church, Colin Collette says he was fired for getting engaged.
Collette met his partner, William Nifong, five years ago and says he had been out among the congregation. Then Nifong proposed during a trip to Rome, Collette said yes, and everything changed when they returned home.
"I would be happy to accept your resignation," the pastor at Holy Family Parish in Inverness told him, according to Collette in a video interview with the Chicago Tribune. Collette refused to resign because "I've done nothing wrong" and instead was fired.
Watch a related interview from ABC 7 below:
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- 14 Stunning Photos of LGBT Military Personnel
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding