Transgender Woman Stoned to Death in Brazil
BY Trudy Ring
October 26 2012 9:27 PM ET
A transgender woman in Brazil has died after being stoned by a group of attackers last week, reports Gay Star News.
The woman, who was born Amos Chagas Lima and went by the name of Madona, was pelted with cobblestones by her assailants October 19 in Aracaju, the capital of the state of the Brazilian state of Sergipe. She was admitted to a hospital and died four days later of severe head injuries. No suspects have been arrested.
Madona, who was a well-known and well-liked figure in Aracaju nightlife, is among many transgender people who have been targets of violence in Brazil, activists say.
“Trans people are the smallest and most vulnerable part of the LGBT Brazilian communities, making up a mere 10th, yet we suffer from the highest incidence of violence and murder,” Keila Simpson, president of the National Council to Combat Discrimination, told Gay Star News. “Since January we have had over 100 transgender people murdered here — that means over 10 people murdered every month. … People here in Brazil think that if they don’t like someone, like a trans person, they have a right to murder. Murders occur because they go often unpunished — simply put: Homophobic and transphobic hate is not a criminal offence.”
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM