Meet America's (Shockingly Small) Pool of Trans Elected Officials
BY Neal Broverman
November 14 2012 5:00 AM ET
Althea Garrison, Massachusetts lawmaker
A smear campaign was used against Garrison, a Massachusetts state legislator outed as trans two days after her 1992 election. The outing came via a vicious Boston Herald reporter named Eric Fehrnstrom, who later became an aide and political strategist for Mitt Romney's failed 2012 presidential bid. Fehrnstrom's stories about Garrison sunk her political career. Years later, Fehrnstrom appeared proud of his achievements, writing in Boston magazine, "In my trade, politics were never personal. Hell, people were rarely people — they were ducks in a shooting gallery."
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View