Smith College Takes First Step in Changing Trans Policy
BY Neal Broverman
May 03 2013 1:05 PM ET
Following criticism that it was hostile to a prospective transgender student, Massachusetts's Smith College will form a committee to revise its policies on trans women.
Over 4,000 signatures from a Change.org petition were recently delivered to Smith officials, blasting the school for refusing to consider Calliope Wong, a young trans woman, for admission. After the signatures were delivered, Smith's dean of admissions, Debra Shaver, announced a committee would form to address the needs of prospective trans students at Smith. The committee will begin meeting in September, and in the interim, Smith will stop denying admissions to trans girls and women listed as male on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid forms, which is what happened to Wong.
"No young woman should be denied the opportunity to learn simply because of who she is," GLAAD spokesman Wilson Cruz said in a statement. "That Smith is having this discussion and listening to the community is a positive step, but the school still needs to ensure that no transgender woman is denied the chance to apply."
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM