WATCH: Suspect Sought in Calif. Trans Woman's Death
BY Trudy Ring
August 23 2013 1:48 PM ET
Police in Fontana, Calif., have identified a suspect in the killing of Domonique Newburn, a transgender woman featured in a Web-based reality series.
The authorities are seeking Dantjier Powell, 18, of San Bernardino, they announced Thursday night, Los Angeles’s NBC affiliate reports. Powell may be trying to leave California, possibly on a bus, and is believed to be accompanied by a 25-year-old woman, Jamie Nicole Cotton.
Newburn was killed Tuesday afternoon in her apartment in Fontana, a community east of Los Angeles. She had appeared on the Web series Hollywood House Boys, about four friends seeking show business careers; it recently resumed production after a hiatus.
A man was seen leaving her apartment with a computer and clothes and driving away in her Mercedes-Benz sedan. The car was recovered Wednesday in a park in San Bernardino, about 13 miles east of Newburn’s home.
Fontana police have requested that anyone with information about the whereabouts of Powell or Cotton call (909) 356-TIPS.
See video of the TV station’s report below.
- Artist Spotlight: Kent Monkman
- Hot Sheet: They Are Risen
- Controversial Catch Phrase Revived on Project Runway
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- Twice-Divorced Florida AG: 'I'm Just Getting Started' Defending Marriage Ban
- With Queen's Decree, Alan Turing Is Now Officially Pardoned