WATCH: The Trans Reporter Changing Turkish Society
BY Neal Broverman
July 20 2014 3:45 PM ET
Michelle Demishevich is the symbol for transgender rights in Turkey, a nation at the crossroads of East and West.
The news reporter is featured in a video from Agence France Presse (via Time). Even though there is a measure of legal protection for LGBTs in Turkey, Demishevich says much still needs to change; Demishevich herself was attacked in a hate crime in 2012. More recently, the outspoken advocate proudly marched in Istanbul's Pride parade, the largest in the Muslim world. Demishevich next plans to run for office in Turkey's legislature.
Watch the video below:
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- 15 More Queers and Allies to Watch in 2015
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- WATCH: S.C. Senator Uses Confederate Flag Debate to Deliver Antigay Rant
- Meet the First Trans Pastor Officially Ordained by the Evangelical Lutheran Church
- President Obama Has Not Called for LGBT National Holiday