WATCH: The Trans Reporter Changing Turkish Society
BY Neal Broverman
July 20 2014 3:45 PM ET
Michelle Demishevich is the symbol for transgender rights in Turkey, a nation at the crossroads of East and West.
The news reporter is featured in a video from Agence France Presse (via Time). Even though there is a measure of legal protection for LGBTs in Turkey, Demishevich says much still needs to change; Demishevich herself was attacked in a hate crime in 2012. More recently, the outspoken advocate proudly marched in Istanbul's Pride parade, the largest in the Muslim world. Demishevich next plans to run for office in Turkey's legislature.
Watch the video below:
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- #TBT: Greetings, Gents
- Everything You Need to Know So Far About Marriage Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: Why Our Next Attorney General Should Be LGBT