WATCH: The Trans Reporter Changing Turkish Society
BY Neal Broverman
July 20 2014 3:45 PM ET
Michelle Demishevich is the symbol for transgender rights in Turkey, a nation at the crossroads of East and West.
The news reporter is featured in a video from Agence France Presse (via Time). Even though there is a measure of legal protection for LGBTs in Turkey, Demishevich says much still needs to change; Demishevich herself was attacked in a hate crime in 2012. More recently, the outspoken advocate proudly marched in Istanbul's Pride parade, the largest in the Muslim world. Demishevich next plans to run for office in Turkey's legislature.
Watch the video below:
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- PHOTOS: Meet the First Trans Man to Win a Gay Games Gold in Powerlifting
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf
- WATCH: Antigay Billboard Sparks Controversy in Tenn.
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Marriage Decision: 'No Need For Us to Rush'