U.S. Embassy In Stockholm Raises Pride Flag
BY Sunnivie Brydum
August 03 2013 1:51 PM ET
To commemorate Stockholm Pride 2013, the U.S. Embassy in Sweden is flying the rainbow flag beneath the American flag, according to a post on the Embassy's Facebook page.
Mark Brzezinski, the U.S. ambassador to Sweden, posted a heartfelt note on his blog Thursday explaining why he was proud to raise the rainbow flag to celebrate Stockholm Pride from July 26 - August 4.
"For me, this is about love," wrote the ambassador on Thursday. "Love is one of the most basic human instinctual feelings one can have. It’s what I felt the day I got married and another human being and I committed ourselves to each other; it’s also what I felt when I witnessed the birth of my daughter. How can one deny that feeling, and the practical expression of that, from another human being?"
Ambassador Brzesinski, who is married to a woman, also made note of the recent advances toward LGBT equality in America, spurred by the landmark ruling in favor of marriage equality at the Supreme Court, and President Obama's outspoken support for marriage equality and LGBT rights. But the ambassador stressed that the nation's work is not yet done.
"We must stamp out homophobia and transphobia," wrote Brzezsinki. "We must stand up against intolerance and discrimination and fight for the right for people to love whom they choose and live their lives happily, openly, and proudly."
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM