Vienna for Life
BY Sunnivie Brydum
April 19 2013 3:00 AM ET
The Life Ball, Europe’s largest (and possibly the world’s most extravagant) annual HIV/AIDS fund-raising party, was dedicated to the element of fire for its 20th anniversary bash. Organized by AIDS Life, Life Ball has raised more than $22 million during the past 21 years for HIV/AIDS projects worldwide through partnerships with amfAR, the William J. Clinton Foundation, the Elton John AIDS Foundation, and UNAIDS.
Life Ball 2013 takes inspiration from its theme of “1001 Nights,” uniting the classic Arabian Nights stories with Life Ball’s quest to “save lives with imagination.” The all-night event takes place May 25 at City Hall in Vienna. The lucky recipients of Life Ball’s 3,780 tickets will be immersed in an opulent world filled with fairy tales and high fashion, mythical creatures, sensual poetry, and wise allegories — using fantasy to bring awareness and support to people with HIV/AIDS.
Life Ball 2013 harkens back to a traditional Arabic saying: “It takes the night to see the stars,” adding hope for a future without HIV/AIDS. Life Ball seeks to make a reality out of the dream that echoed through last year’s World AIDS Conference: Together, we can end AIDS.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Op-ed: My Father's Daughter
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 37 min 29 sec ago
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 1 hour 37 min ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM