Black, LGBT, American: Wanda Sykes
BY Wanda Sykes
July 15 2013 3:00 AM ET
When I came out, it wasn't planned at all. There was a national day of protest against the passage of Prop 8. I said, "OK, where's the rally? We‚'re going to go to the rally." And I did, and in my speech I said, "Hey, you know, I got married and I'm pissed." I get to the hotel and I turn on the TV and on the CNN scroll it's, "comedian Wanda Sykes, 'I'm proud to be gay,'" and I was like, Oh, this is a big fucking deal. I'm a black woman, a celebrity, and I'm out.
My comedy comes from a real place, so it would be hard for me not to talk about my sexuality. In a lot of my appearances I talk about my wife and my kids. What's funny is that I would get off stage and someone would say, "You know — I really thought you were hilarious and all, but you didn't really make a statement for gay rights." Like, jackass, I just did a whole fucking hour about my wife and kids. You can't get any gayer than that.
Wanda Sykes is an actress and comedian.
Text adapted from HBO's The Out List.
More In This Series
Black, LGBT, American: A Search for Sanctuaries
Don Lemon: A Sense of Otherness
Wanda Sykes: On Being Real
Laverne Cox: Threat or Threatened
Twiggy Garcon: Ballroom at 14
Doug Spearman: Breaking the Code
Janora McDuffie: My Obligation
Aaron Walton: Angelic Troublemakers
Editor's Letter: Black and LGBT in America
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip 13 min 19 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 31 min 15 sec ago
- No More Bullying WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 52 min 11 sec ago
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 1 hour 9 min ago
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 1 hour 24 min ago
- Transgender Are Federal Contractors Allowed to Discriminate Against Trans People? 1 hour 35 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 1 hour 54 min ago