Black, LGBT, American: Twiggy Garcon
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 15 2013 3:00 AM ET
"There was always a feminine side to me. I was pulled into someone's office at my church where they told me that if I didn't change how I was, I would be asked to leave. God loves all, but you are tellin' me that because I'm this way, I can't be here? And that didn't click in my mind. It still doesn't make sense to me. I've been a part of the mainstream ballroom scene since 2004. I was 14. Paris Is Burning was definitely an epic film for our community. People started to understand what is a ball, what are the categories, what happens there, what is a house? I have a butch queen mother, a femme queen mother, and a butch queen father. If you've been rejected by your biological family, right, or you've been kicked out or shunned, whatever the case may be, you have this surrogate family. Ballroom is a competition. But a house is more than just a competition. That house is a real family."
Twiggy Pucci Garçon is a ballroom performer/founder of the Kiki's Scene's House of Pucci and community health specialist.
Text adapted from HBO's The Out List.
More In This Series
Black, LGBT, American: A Search for Sanctuaries
Don Lemon: A Sense of Otherness
Wanda Sykes: On Being Real
Laverne Cox: Threat or Threatened
Twiggy Garcon: Ballroom at 14
Doug Spearman: Breaking the Code
Janora McDuffie: My Obligation
Aaron Walton: Angelic Troublemakers
Editor's Letter: Black and LGBT in America
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit December 09 2013 9:41 PM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM