9-Year-Old Quits Boy Scouts Over Gay Ban
BY Michelle Garcia
September 06 2012 4:51 PM ET
A 9-year-old boy from Minot, Maine said that he's enjoyed his time as a Cub Scout, but he felt it was wrong that the Boy Scouts of America was not welcoming to openly gay scouts and leaders.
Christopher Tiner had learned about Eagle Scouts returning their medals for the same reason. His father Scott Tiner, also a former Scout leader, had decided to ditch the organization. While Christopher would miss the camping trips and fun projects, his father told the Bangor Daily News that his son decided to leave the Scouts. He was starting to get bored with it, anyway.
The move, however, makes Christopher the first Scout in Maine to officially leave the organization because of the antigay policy.
Eric Tarbox, the executive of Maine's Pine Tree Council, said that he's received about 10 calls from people regarding the policy, with half praising it, and the other half condemning it. As far as the local rules, “We believe that we’re not equipped, nor is it in our current education program, to discuss matters of sexuality, heterosexuality, homosexuality or any kind of sexuality with our children because they’re minors and we don’t have any training regimen,” he said to the Daily News. He added that den leaders are not properly equipped to educate about sexuality, and that parents should be encouraged to talk to their children about it.
In the end, does Christopher regret his decision?
"No," he said.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 2 hours 57 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 5:49 PM