HRC Donates $100K to Support Russian LGBTs
BY Michelle Garcia
December 19 2013 3:03 PM ET
The Human Rights Campaign announced Thursday that it has donated $100,000 to support LGBT activists in Russia.
The money will go to the Russia Freedom Fund, a project organized by the Arcus Foundation, which provides grants to LGBT activists in Russia. Those activists use the funds to support activists on the front lines, and pay for legal assistance.
The Human Rights Campaign's grant comes from the sale of T-shirts that say "Love Conquers Hate."
"We are thankful to HRC for this ground-setting donation to support the Russian LGBT movement," Anastasia Smirnova, coordinator of the coalition of Russian LGBT organizations, said in a statement Thursday. "While the safety of our community continues to be put at risk, more and more individuals and groups stand up to defend and promote equality. HRC's support will help this energy last and will contribute to a safer and better life for LGBT people in Russia."
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM