HRC Donates $100K to Support Russian LGBTs
BY Michelle Garcia
December 19 2013 4:03 PM ET
The Human Rights Campaign announced Thursday that it has donated $100,000 to support LGBT activists in Russia.
The money will go to the Russia Freedom Fund, a project organized by the Arcus Foundation, which provides grants to LGBT activists in Russia. Those activists use the funds to support activists on the front lines, and pay for legal assistance.
The Human Rights Campaign's grant comes from the sale of T-shirts that say "Love Conquers Hate."
"We are thankful to HRC for this ground-setting donation to support the Russian LGBT movement," Anastasia Smirnova, coordinator of the coalition of Russian LGBT organizations, said in a statement Thursday. "While the safety of our community continues to be put at risk, more and more individuals and groups stand up to defend and promote equality. HRC's support will help this energy last and will contribute to a safer and better life for LGBT people in Russia."
- 52 LGBT Superheroes and Villains
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: I'm a Lesbian Targeted by the Bathroom Police
- Suicides, Antigay Accusations Sully Elite San Diego School
- Obama's Former Speechwriter Reportedly Held Secret Same-Sex Marriage at the White House
- WATCH: Ted Cruz, Glenn Beck Think Marriage Equality Has Destroyed the Constitution