HRC Donates $100K to Support Russian LGBTs
BY Michelle Garcia
December 19 2013 4:03 PM ET
The Human Rights Campaign announced Thursday that it has donated $100,000 to support LGBT activists in Russia.
The money will go to the Russia Freedom Fund, a project organized by the Arcus Foundation, which provides grants to LGBT activists in Russia. Those activists use the funds to support activists on the front lines, and pay for legal assistance.
The Human Rights Campaign's grant comes from the sale of T-shirts that say "Love Conquers Hate."
"We are thankful to HRC for this ground-setting donation to support the Russian LGBT movement," Anastasia Smirnova, coordinator of the coalition of Russian LGBT organizations, said in a statement Thursday. "While the safety of our community continues to be put at risk, more and more individuals and groups stand up to defend and promote equality. HRC's support will help this energy last and will contribute to a safer and better life for LGBT people in Russia."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 2 hours 17 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM