Strong Reactions to Gay-Friendly Yearbook Piece
BY Neal Broverman
May 04 2012 6:27 PM ET
Lenoir City High School student Zac Mitchell is described as being proudly out in the piece, which appears in the senior yearbook and is entitled, "It's OK to Be Gay."
"There will always be people who bully me for being gay, but I don't care," Mitchell tells an unnamed author in the article. "It doesn't affect me and it never has. That's probably why they keep doing it."
The piece is now reverberating around the eastern Tennessee town, located near Knoxville. A local blogger stopped just short of calling for the yearbook adviser, journalism teacher James Yoakley, to be fired. He's been teaching at the school for 11 years. "In this twisted world we live in, some may believe it's OK to be gay but it's darn sure not OK for teachers to be promoting homosexuality in our high schools," writes Van Shaver.
Another national controversy recently roiled the school when officials refused to run an op-ed about atheism in the school newspaper.
The Associated Press reports that petitions are circling around LCHS that call for students to rip out the page with the article during graduation as well as calling for Mitchell to not be allowed to graduate.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 27 min 24 sec ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 2 hours 43 min ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 3:30 PM
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 3:18 PM
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 3:02 PM
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2:58 PM