Gay Radio Hosts Turn Possible Hate Crime Into Art
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 23 2012 1:11 PM ET
Two gay radio hosts in Los Angeles have turned a defaced billboard for their program into an inclusive piece of art, reports the Los Angeles Times.
A billboard advertising The Craig & Robbie Hour on Beverly Boulevard and La Brea was vandalized twice — first covered in purple paint, then shot with white paintball pellets. After the second vandalization, the radio hosts decided to hire local artist Jamie Ochoa to turn the defacement into "a message of hope," according to the Times.
Craig Olson and Robbie Laughlin, whose program airs Thursdays at 5 p.m. on Global Voice Broadcasting, told the Times they believe the vandalism was motivated by antigay bias.
"Somebody had to take a gun, and I was a target. This felt more violent," Olsen told the Times. "I felt like somebody had smacked me across the face and said 'Get out.' But I wasn't going to roll over."
Olson hired Ochoa to incorporate the vandalized images into a hybrid of art and advertising that shows the two DJs wrapping their arms around the globe, surrounded by black and white images referencing various faiths, and a child holding a sign simply reading "Peace."
Read more about the vandalism and how the gay radio hosts are fighting back here.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples March 14 2014 4:14 PM