Gay Radio Hosts Turn Possible Hate Crime Into Art
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 23 2012 1:11 PM ET
Two gay radio hosts in Los Angeles have turned a defaced billboard for their program into an inclusive piece of art, reports the Los Angeles Times.
A billboard advertising The Craig & Robbie Hour on Beverly Boulevard and La Brea was vandalized twice — first covered in purple paint, then shot with white paintball pellets. After the second vandalization, the radio hosts decided to hire local artist Jamie Ochoa to turn the defacement into "a message of hope," according to the Times.
Craig Olson and Robbie Laughlin, whose program airs Thursdays at 5 p.m. on Global Voice Broadcasting, told the Times they believe the vandalism was motivated by antigay bias.
"Somebody had to take a gun, and I was a target. This felt more violent," Olsen told the Times. "I felt like somebody had smacked me across the face and said 'Get out.' But I wasn't going to roll over."
Olson hired Ochoa to incorporate the vandalized images into a hybrid of art and advertising that shows the two DJs wrapping their arms around the globe, surrounded by black and white images referencing various faiths, and a child holding a sign simply reading "Peace."
Read more about the vandalism and how the gay radio hosts are fighting back here.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 1 hour 3 min ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 2 hours 3 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 2 hours 48 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM