Gay Radio Hosts Turn Possible Hate Crime Into Art
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 23 2012 1:11 PM ET
Two gay radio hosts in Los Angeles have turned a defaced billboard for their program into an inclusive piece of art, reports the Los Angeles Times.
A billboard advertising The Craig & Robbie Hour on Beverly Boulevard and La Brea was vandalized twice — first covered in purple paint, then shot with white paintball pellets. After the second vandalization, the radio hosts decided to hire local artist Jamie Ochoa to turn the defacement into "a message of hope," according to the Times.
Craig Olson and Robbie Laughlin, whose program airs Thursdays at 5 p.m. on Global Voice Broadcasting, told the Times they believe the vandalism was motivated by antigay bias.
"Somebody had to take a gun, and I was a target. This felt more violent," Olsen told the Times. "I felt like somebody had smacked me across the face and said 'Get out.' But I wasn't going to roll over."
Olson hired Ochoa to incorporate the vandalized images into a hybrid of art and advertising that shows the two DJs wrapping their arms around the globe, surrounded by black and white images referencing various faiths, and a child holding a sign simply reading "Peace."
Read more about the vandalism and how the gay radio hosts are fighting back here.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 44 min 20 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 1 hour 13 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 2 hours 5 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 7:59 AM
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM