Chicago, La Cage aux Folles Producer Marty Richards Dead at 80
BY Neal Broverman
November 28 2012 10:41 PM ET
Much-loved stage and film producer Marty Richards died on Monday at age 80.
Richards is best-known for bringing Chicago to the big screen in 2002; it won six Academy Awards the following year, including Best Picture. He also produced many beloved musicals and stage productions, including the gay-centered hit La Cage aux Folles. Richards would win Tonys for La Cage, as well as Sweeney Todd and The Will Rogers Follies.
The Bronx-born producer started off as an actor and singer. With his success, he became a noted philanthropist, creating the charity known as Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM