Chicago, La Cage aux Folles Producer Marty Richards Dead at 80
BY Neal Broverman
November 28 2012 10:41 PM ET
Much-loved stage and film producer Marty Richards died on Monday at age 80.
Richards is best-known for bringing Chicago to the big screen in 2002; it won six Academy Awards the following year, including Best Picture. He also produced many beloved musicals and stage productions, including the gay-centered hit La Cage aux Folles. Richards would win Tonys for La Cage, as well as Sweeney Todd and The Will Rogers Follies.
The Bronx-born producer started off as an actor and singer. With his success, he became a noted philanthropist, creating the charity known as Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music Austra's Summer Soundtrack 12 min 25 sec ago
- Books James Franco's A California Childhood: Win Signed Copy 18 min 53 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Cher Wigs Out on The Voice 49 min 1 sec ago
- Entertainment News CA Town Hoists And Promptly Removes Gay Pride Flag 1 hour 56 min ago
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM