Antigay Pastor Charles Worley Spewed Hate in 1978
BY Michelle Garcia
May 22 2012 6:57 PM ET
Decades before antigay pastor Charles Worley said lesbians and "queers and the homosexuals" should be rounded up, placed in camps surrounded by electric fences and left to die "so the won't reproduce," the pastor described other violently homophobic acts against gay people during a sermon.
"...Forty years ago, they would've hung 'em -- bless God -- from a white oak tree," Worley said in a 1978 sermon that the Providence Road Baptist Church has posted on its website, according to Good As You.
Worley's preaching gained international attention after a recent sermon where, among other things, he claimed he wouldn't vote for a "baby killer and a homosexual lover," meaning President Obama, who voiced his support for marriage equality earlier this month.
- 25 Unforgettable Gay TV Kisses
- Josh Duggar Resigns From Antigay Family Research Council Amid Sexual Abuse Allegations
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- #TBT: The Battle for the Bulge
- Op-ed: Ireland's Marriage Decision Will Reverberate Around the World
- WATCH: Stephen Fry Goes Gaelic for Irish Marriage Equality