Antigay Pastor Charles Worley Spewed Hate in 1978
BY Michelle Garcia
May 22 2012 6:57 PM ET
Decades before antigay pastor Charles Worley said lesbians and "queers and the homosexuals" should be rounded up, placed in camps surrounded by electric fences and left to die "so the won't reproduce," the pastor described other violently homophobic acts against gay people during a sermon.
"...Forty years ago, they would've hung 'em -- bless God -- from a white oak tree," Worley said in a 1978 sermon that the Providence Road Baptist Church has posted on its website, according to Good As You.
Worley's preaching gained international attention after a recent sermon where, among other things, he claimed he wouldn't vote for a "baby killer and a homosexual lover," meaning President Obama, who voiced his support for marriage equality earlier this month.
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM