Antigay Pastor Charles Worley Spewed Hate in 1978
BY Michelle Garcia
May 22 2012 6:57 PM ET
Decades before antigay pastor Charles Worley said lesbians and "queers and the homosexuals" should be rounded up, placed in camps surrounded by electric fences and left to die "so the won't reproduce," the pastor described other violently homophobic acts against gay people during a sermon.
"...Forty years ago, they would've hung 'em -- bless God -- from a white oak tree," Worley said in a 1978 sermon that the Providence Road Baptist Church has posted on its website, according to Good As You.
Worley's preaching gained international attention after a recent sermon where, among other things, he claimed he wouldn't vote for a "baby killer and a homosexual lover," meaning President Obama, who voiced his support for marriage equality earlier this month.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 1 hour 55 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 2 hours 49 min ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM