Antigay Pastor Charles Worley Spewed Hate in 1978
BY Michelle Garcia
May 22 2012 6:57 PM ET
Decades before antigay pastor Charles Worley said lesbians and "queers and the homosexuals" should be rounded up, placed in camps surrounded by electric fences and left to die "so the won't reproduce," the pastor described other violently homophobic acts against gay people during a sermon.
"...Forty years ago, they would've hung 'em -- bless God -- from a white oak tree," Worley said in a 1978 sermon that the Providence Road Baptist Church has posted on its website, according to Good As You.
Worley's preaching gained international attention after a recent sermon where, among other things, he claimed he wouldn't vote for a "baby killer and a homosexual lover," meaning President Obama, who voiced his support for marriage equality earlier this month.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- White House to Unveil New HIV Strategy
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Minister to LGBT People: Thanks for Making Me More Antigay
- Op-ed: What I Learned From My High School's Gay English Teacher