Nebraska Coach: “Honor” to Lose Job for Antigay Statements
BY Trudy Ring
April 26 2012 6:39 PM ET
University of Nebraska assistant football coach Ron Brown says it would be an “honor” to lose his job for statements he made in opposition to an LGBT rights ordinance in Omaha, the Associated Press reports.
Brown attended an Omaha City Council meeting last month to speak out against the proposed law, which the council subsequently approved. He told council members that such a law would go against biblical prohibitions on homosexuality.
“The question I have for you all is, like Pontius Pilate, what are you going to do with Jesus?” Brown asked. “Ultimately, if you don’t have a relationship with him and you don’t really have a Bible-believing mentality, really, anything goes.”
Brown’s action has led some to call for his firing, noting that the university bans antigay discrimination and that his comments could create a hostile atmosphere for LGBT student athletes. So far, however, administrators are supporting him, saying his beliefs do not reflect university policy but he has a right to express them.
Brown told the AP, “To be fired for my faith would be a greater honor than to be fired because we didn’t win enough games. I haven’t lost any sleep over it. I realize at some point, we live in a politically correct enough culture where that very well could happen.”
Lincoln, where the university has its main campus, is scheduled to consider an ordinance similar to Omaha’s in May. Brown said he is “praying about” speaking out against it.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM