Titans QB Says a Gay Player Would Be No Big Deal for Team
BY Lucas Grindley
July 24 2012 4:49 PM ET
Titans quarterback Matt Hasselbeck says he wouldn't have a problem with a gay player on his team.
Cornerback Wade Davis stayed in the closet while with the Titans for the 2000 and 2002 preseasons, but Hasselbeck told OutSports that he's spoken with the other quarterbacks about how they would react to a gay player.
“The question did come up, well, what about in the shower?" he said. "And those are tricky, delicate issues. But so are female reporters in the locker room. There’s rarely a clear, black and white answer on a lot of tricky issues. But I think, at least for the three quarterbacks in our room, it was kind of a shrug, yeah, so what?”
Davis said the locker room was a big reason he stayed in the closet.
"You just want to be one of the guys, and you don’t want to lose that sense of family,” Davis told OutSports in June. “Your biggest fear is that you’ll lose that camaraderie and family."
Read more of the OutSports interview with Hasselbeck, whose sister-in-law is Elisabeth Hasselbeck of The View.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 13 min 35 sec ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 50 min 7 sec ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 59 min 49 sec ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 1 hour 38 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM