Titans QB Says a Gay Player Would Be No Big Deal for Team
BY Lucas Grindley
July 24 2012 4:49 PM ET
Titans quarterback Matt Hasselbeck says he wouldn't have a problem with a gay player on his team.
Cornerback Wade Davis stayed in the closet while with the Titans for the 2000 and 2002 preseasons, but Hasselbeck told OutSports that he's spoken with the other quarterbacks about how they would react to a gay player.
“The question did come up, well, what about in the shower?" he said. "And those are tricky, delicate issues. But so are female reporters in the locker room. There’s rarely a clear, black and white answer on a lot of tricky issues. But I think, at least for the three quarterbacks in our room, it was kind of a shrug, yeah, so what?”
Davis said the locker room was a big reason he stayed in the closet.
"You just want to be one of the guys, and you don’t want to lose that sense of family,” Davis told OutSports in June. “Your biggest fear is that you’ll lose that camaraderie and family."
Read more of the OutSports interview with Hasselbeck, whose sister-in-law is Elisabeth Hasselbeck of The View.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM