NBA's Kenneth Faried an Ally for LGBT Equality
BY Trudy Ring
February 12 2013 3:05 PM ET
Denver Nuggets star Kenneth Faried, the son of two lesbian mothers, has become the first NBA player to join Athlete Ally, an organization that seeks to make sports a welcoming environment for LGBT people.
“Becoming an Athlete Ally gives me the opportunity to spread a message of inclusiveness throughout the NBA and our country,” Faried said in a news release posted on Athlete Ally’s website. “I have two moms and I love them both very much. I respect, honor and support them in every way. The bond I have with them has made me realize that I want all members of the LGBT community — whether they are parents, players, coaches or fans — to feel welcome in the NBA and in all of our communities.”
This is not the first time Faried has stood up for LGBT rights; in January he appeared in a video promoting civil unions legislation in Colorado.
Faried, 23, who plays forward for the Nuggets, was a college basketball star at Morehead State University in Kentucky and appears to be on his way to a stellar pro career. Among his achievements this season, he was NBA Player of the Week and had a career-high 20 rebounds in a game against the Miami Heat.
He joins four NFL players, an Australian rugby star, an Australian Rules Football player, and numerous college athletes who have signed on with Athlete Ally, executive director Hudson Taylor said. “Kenneth is standing out not only as an incredible talent, but as an incredible ally,” Taylor added. “We are thrilled to have him on board and grateful to the NBA for its continued leadership.”
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective 15 min 7 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! 20 min 26 sec ago
- Sports Chicago Gay Hockey Association Wins at Celebrating Christmas 50 min 32 sec ago
- Entertainment News Paul Rudd On Witnessing a Drag Queen Brawl 1 hour 17 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Airline 1 hour 20 min ago
- The Wedding Channel Gay Couples to Wed Atop 2014 Rose Parade Float 1 hour 52 min ago
- Music The Shondes: On Mixing Music & Politics 1 hour 52 min ago