Ayanbadejo and Kluwe Join Amway Boycott
BY Michelle Garcia
March 20 2013 10:42 AM ET
NFL players Brendon Ayanbadejo of the Baltimore Ravens and Chris Kluwe of the Minnesota Vikings have both signed pledges to boycott Amway because of the company's antigay ways.
Former presidential campaigner and gay activist Fred Karger asked Kluwe and Ayanbadejo to sign postcards sent to Amway owner Doug DeVos, whose family has sent at least $500,000 to antigay groups such as the National Organization for Marriage. That organization has funded campaigns against marriage equality in both Minnesota and Maryland.
Karger pointed out that NOM has targeted the two players, who have voiced support for marriage equality and were most recently honorees at the GLAAD Awards over the weekend.
“These guys are leading the way in professional sports, and history will show the tremendous impact that each man had in changing the hearts and minds of athletes, others in their generation and millions of Americans,” Karger said in a statement Tuesday.
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out 2 hours 33 min ago
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM