Ayanbadejo and Kluwe Join Amway Boycott
BY Michelle Garcia
March 20 2013 11:42 AM ET
NFL players Brendon Ayanbadejo of the Baltimore Ravens and Chris Kluwe of the Minnesota Vikings have both signed pledges to boycott Amway because of the company's antigay ways.
Former presidential campaigner and gay activist Fred Karger asked Kluwe and Ayanbadejo to sign postcards sent to Amway owner Doug DeVos, whose family has sent at least $500,000 to antigay groups such as the National Organization for Marriage. That organization has funded campaigns against marriage equality in both Minnesota and Maryland.
Karger pointed out that NOM has targeted the two players, who have voiced support for marriage equality and were most recently honorees at the GLAAD Awards over the weekend.
“These guys are leading the way in professional sports, and history will show the tremendous impact that each man had in changing the hearts and minds of athletes, others in their generation and millions of Americans,” Karger said in a statement Tuesday.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 53 min 37 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 1 hour 23 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 2 hours 15 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 7:59 AM
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM