Ayanbadejo and Kluwe Join Amway Boycott
BY Michelle Garcia
March 20 2013 11:42 AM ET
NFL players Brendon Ayanbadejo of the Baltimore Ravens and Chris Kluwe of the Minnesota Vikings have both signed pledges to boycott Amway because of the company's antigay ways.
Former presidential campaigner and gay activist Fred Karger asked Kluwe and Ayanbadejo to sign postcards sent to Amway owner Doug DeVos, whose family has sent at least $500,000 to antigay groups such as the National Organization for Marriage. That organization has funded campaigns against marriage equality in both Minnesota and Maryland.
Karger pointed out that NOM has targeted the two players, who have voiced support for marriage equality and were most recently honorees at the GLAAD Awards over the weekend.
“These guys are leading the way in professional sports, and history will show the tremendous impact that each man had in changing the hearts and minds of athletes, others in their generation and millions of Americans,” Karger said in a statement Tuesday.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs 30 min 9 sec ago
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy 33 min 11 sec ago
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM