Straight Ally Chris Kluwe Cut from Vikings
BY Neal Broverman
May 06 2013 12:55 PM ET
Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe is now a free agent and it's not clear where the LGBT rights advocate will head next.
Kluwe, 31, became a hero to many when he put his neck on the line, several times, for marriage equality and gay rights (there was that "lustful cockmonster" letter to antigay Maryland delegate Everett Burns, Jr.).
Many are wondering if Kluwe's outspokenness contributed to the decision to cut him, though CityPages reports that "the Vikings elected to release him in favor of recent 5th Round draft selection Jeff Locke." After learning of his cut, Kluwe sent three tweets; one thanking Minnesota (and its fish), another thanking his fans and teammates, and another one that read, "And thank you everyone for your support. Remember, one label does not define who you are as a person."
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM