Straight Ally Chris Kluwe Cut from Vikings
BY Neal Broverman
May 06 2013 1:55 PM ET
Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe is now a free agent and it's not clear where the LGBT rights advocate will head next.
Kluwe, 31, became a hero to many when he put his neck on the line, several times, for marriage equality and gay rights (there was that "lustful cockmonster" letter to antigay Maryland delegate Everett Burns, Jr.).
Many are wondering if Kluwe's outspokenness contributed to the decision to cut him, though CityPages reports that "the Vikings elected to release him in favor of recent 5th Round draft selection Jeff Locke." After learning of his cut, Kluwe sent three tweets; one thanking Minnesota (and its fish), another thanking his fans and teammates, and another one that read, "And thank you everyone for your support. Remember, one label does not define who you are as a person."
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Artist Spotlight: Julian Hsiung