Straight Ally Chris Kluwe Cut from Vikings
BY Neal Broverman
May 06 2013 1:55 PM ET
Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe is now a free agent and it's not clear where the LGBT rights advocate will head next.
Kluwe, 31, became a hero to many when he put his neck on the line, several times, for marriage equality and gay rights (there was that "lustful cockmonster" letter to antigay Maryland delegate Everett Burns, Jr.).
Many are wondering if Kluwe's outspokenness contributed to the decision to cut him, though CityPages reports that "the Vikings elected to release him in favor of recent 5th Round draft selection Jeff Locke." After learning of his cut, Kluwe sent three tweets; one thanking Minnesota (and its fish), another thanking his fans and teammates, and another one that read, "And thank you everyone for your support. Remember, one label does not define who you are as a person."
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- Could National Marriage Equality Mean the End of Gay Culture?
- WATCH: Being Gay Is 'Death Worthy,' According to Georgia Church Sign
- Argentina Makes History With Three-Parent Birth Certificate
- Rick Santorum Defends Bruce Jenner: 'He's a Woman'