Chris Kluwe Has a New Team, Plans to Keep Speaking Out
BY Lucas Grindley
May 16 2013 11:48 AM ET
If punter Chris Kluwe is a lucky charm for marriage equality, then California could be on the verge of some good news.
The outspoken former Minnesota Viking is headed to the Oakland Raiders, according to Fox Sports.
Kluwe was an outspoken advocate for marriage equality in Minnesota, where lawmakers just passed a bill legalizing same-sex marriage. The state's governor implied that Kluwe's activism might have contributed to his split with the team.
"I just think sports officials ought to be honest about what the heck is going on," said Gov. Mark Dayton this month.
Fox Sports interviewed Kluwe, who said he has no plans to stop speaking out. In reporting Kluwe's new team, Fox Sports described him as "arguably the greatest punter in franchise history" for the Vikings.
California is awaiting a ruling from the Supreme Court on whether Proposition 8, which banned same-sex marriages, will be upheld.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- The World Is Finally Ready For the Lost Recordings of '70s Gay Rockers Smokey
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Smacks Down States Resisting Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Kentucky County Clerk Sued Over Denial of Marriage Licenses