Olympic Skier Bode Miller Slams Russia's Antigay Laws
BY Michelle Garcia
October 01 2013 4:53 PM ET
Olympic skier Bode Miller said he thinks Russia's antigay laws are "embarrassing" and that it is "hypocritical and unfair" that athletes are being advised by the International Olympic Committee not to speak out about the laws.
"I think it is absolutely embarrassing there are countries and people who are that intolerant or that ignorant," he said Monday at the U.S. Olympic media summit, according to the Chicago Tribune. "It’s not the first time. We have been dealing with human rights issues since there were humans. My main emotion when I hear and deal with situations like that is embarrassment. As a human being, I think it is embarrassing."
Miller, 35, has competed in four previous Olympic games and is considered to be one of the best alpine skiers in U.S. history with 33 World Cup wins and five Olympic medals. Though he spent last season injured, he is angling to qualify for the 2014 team competing in Sochi, Russia.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Northern Ireland Lifts Ban on Same-Sex Couples Adopting
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM