Canada Prepares for Things to Go Wrong in Sochi
BY Lucas Grindley
December 30 2013 8:00 AM ET
Canada is making preparations for things to go wrong in Russia when Sochi hosts the Olympics in February, a newly public letter shows.
Canadian media outlets are reporting on a letter sent this month to Sergey Lavrov, the Russian minister of foreign affairs. In it, Canada's own foreign minister, John Baird, warns that his country's leadership "remains concerned" about the so-called "gay propaganda" law that Russia passed this year despite assurances it won't be enforced on visitors. Baird calls for cooperation should a Canadian citizen get caught up in an unforeseen mishap.
"We have developed a comprehensive consular strategy to manage any issues that may come up during the Games and trust that we can count on your government's full cooperation," the letter states, according to a copy posted by The Toronto Star. "We are confident that the Russian government will allow speedy and regular access to any Canadian citizen, should the need arise." It goes on to ask for a suggested point of contact and advises that "in the circumstances that any cases arise, our ability to respond quickly will contribute to the international perception of the success of the Games."
Baird has in the past railed against Russia's propaganda law, calling it "mean-spirited and hateful." He said Canada had lobbied privately to stop it from passing but was unsuccessful.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 16 min 23 sec ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 22 min 43 sec ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 46 min 9 sec ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 54 min 55 sec ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 1 hour 1 min ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 1 hour 44 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 2 hours 15 min ago