WATCH: Michael Sam Responds Graciously To Tony Dungy's Homophobia
BY Lucas Grindley
July 23 2014 12:33 PM ET
In a new interview, Michael Sam appears ready to respond to the likes of former head coach Tony Dungy and his homophobic criticism of the first openly gay man playing in the NFL.
In a short interview, Sam was asked by reporters to respond to Dungy, the former Indianapolis Colts and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach who told The Tampa Tribune that "I wouldn't have taken him." Dungy said Sam "should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it." He added, "It's not going to be totally smooth … things will happen."
Sam brushed off the criticism with gratitude for the St. Louis Rams, which drafted him, and by lumping Dungy in with the expected crowd of naysayers.
See the video below:
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- PHOTOS: Toronto Shows Off Its Pride
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- PHOTOS: The Bare Truths of Trans Men
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality