WATCH: Michael Sam Responds Graciously To Tony Dungy's Homophobia
BY Lucas Grindley
July 23 2014 12:33 PM ET
In a new interview, Michael Sam appears ready to respond to the likes of former head coach Tony Dungy and his homophobic criticism of the first openly gay man playing in the NFL.
In a short interview, Sam was asked by reporters to respond to Dungy, the former Indianapolis Colts and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach who told The Tampa Tribune that "I wouldn't have taken him." Dungy said Sam "should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it." He added, "It's not going to be totally smooth … things will happen."
Sam brushed off the criticism with gratitude for the St. Louis Rams, which drafted him, and by lumping Dungy in with the expected crowd of naysayers.
See the video below:
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad