Where the Adults Are
BY Neal Broverman
September 03 2008 11:00 PM ET
As gay couples
rush to the altar in California ahead of the November
election that could snatch their marriage rights away, many
are planning hasty honeymoons to Vegas and Palm
Springs. Ho-hum. May we suggest another destination
not far from the Golden State?
Santa Fe, N.M..
is the grown-up place to toast your love. Art,
restaurants, adorable adobe architecture, gorgeous scenery
-- it’s all there. Do you really want to go to
a circuit party or a clothing-optional resort after
you just promised your life to another?
Temptation of the
wandering-eye variety is hard to come by in Santa Fe --
the only gay bar is in an LGBT retirement home 20 minutes
from downtown (we kid you not). The real temptation is
the plethora of restaurants right at your fork tines.
The New Mexican capital has only about 70,000
residents but hundreds of top-notch eating
establishments, many of which are sophisticated,
romantic, and friendly. Santa Fe, of course,
specializes in authentic Southwest cuisine: everything from
tamales to Frito pie. Standouts include Fuego (330 E.
Palace Ave.; 505-986-0000) and Geronimo (724 Canyon
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day March 07 2014 5:49 PM