Where the Adults Are
BY Neal Broverman
September 04 2008 12:00 AM ET
As gay couples
rush to the altar in California ahead of the November
election that could snatch their marriage rights away, many
are planning hasty honeymoons to Vegas and Palm
Springs. Ho-hum. May we suggest another destination
not far from the Golden State?
Santa Fe, N.M..
is the grown-up place to toast your love. Art,
restaurants, adorable adobe architecture, gorgeous scenery
-- it’s all there. Do you really want to go to
a circuit party or a clothing-optional resort after
you just promised your life to another?
Temptation of the
wandering-eye variety is hard to come by in Santa Fe --
the only gay bar is in an LGBT retirement home 20 minutes
from downtown (we kid you not). The real temptation is
the plethora of restaurants right at your fork tines.
The New Mexican capital has only about 70,000
residents but hundreds of top-notch eating
establishments, many of which are sophisticated,
romantic, and friendly. Santa Fe, of course,
specializes in authentic Southwest cuisine: everything from
tamales to Frito pie. Standouts include Fuego (330 E.
Palace Ave.; 505-986-0000) and Geronimo (724 Canyon
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 17 min 7 sec ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM