Where the Adults Are
BY Neal Broverman
September 03 2008 11:00 PM ET
As gay couples
rush to the altar in California ahead of the November
election that could snatch their marriage rights away, many
are planning hasty honeymoons to Vegas and Palm
Springs. Ho-hum. May we suggest another destination
not far from the Golden State?
Santa Fe, N.M..
is the grown-up place to toast your love. Art,
restaurants, adorable adobe architecture, gorgeous scenery
-- it’s all there. Do you really want to go to
a circuit party or a clothing-optional resort after
you just promised your life to another?
Temptation of the
wandering-eye variety is hard to come by in Santa Fe --
the only gay bar is in an LGBT retirement home 20 minutes
from downtown (we kid you not). The real temptation is
the plethora of restaurants right at your fork tines.
The New Mexican capital has only about 70,000
residents but hundreds of top-notch eating
establishments, many of which are sophisticated,
romantic, and friendly. Santa Fe, of course,
specializes in authentic Southwest cuisine: everything from
tamales to Frito pie. Standouts include Fuego (330 E.
Palace Ave.; 505-986-0000) and Geronimo (724 Canyon
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 2 hours 56 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM