David Mixner Among Honorees for Annual Ali Forney Center Fund-raiser
BY Michelle Garcia
October 01 2012 10:49 AM ET
Longtime activist David Mixner will be among one of the honorees at a benefit for the nation's largest services and advocacy organization for LGBT homeless youth.
The Ali Forney Center's annual A Place at the Table will also honor Chris Salgardo of beauty and skincare company Kiehl’s, Time Warner Cable, and AFC graduate Chris Bilal. The event, to be held October 26 at Capitale in New York, will be hosted by MSNBC anchor Thomas Roberts.
Mixner is a political strategist, civil rights activist, and public affairs adviser who has raised upwards of $30 million for political campaigns and causes. He is also working to expand access for people with HIV domestically and abroad. Salgardo and his company, Kiehl’s, have been previously honored for charitable work with organizations including Project Angel Food and created the Kiehl’s LifeRide for amfAR and as well as Kiehl’s Desert Run for amfAR, motorcycle rides that have raised over $250,000 for the nonprofit.
AFC graduate Bilal escaped homophobia back at home in Baltimore and an abusive relationship but found himself homeless in New York. After months of couch surfing and sleeping on building rooftops, Bilal was tipped off about the center and used its transitional program to get his life back. He's now a member of the campaign staff at Streetwise and Safe, where he teaches youth of color their rights in police encounters and helps build leadership among communities affected by police violence.
Time Warner Cable, a sponsor of New York Pride, will partner with the Ali Forney Center to begin development of a Learning Lab in AFC’s new Drop-In Center, the first LGBTQ organization to receive a Learning Lab from the company.
For more information or tickets, visit AliForneyCenter.org
- New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013 5:00 AM
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married December 20 2013 7:40 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert December 20 2013 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt December 20 2013 4:48 PM