WATCH: Kindergarten Class Performs 'True Colors'
BY David Artavia
June 10 2013 1:52 PM ET
The kindergarten graduation ceremony at the Olympic Primary Center in Los Angeles delivered a heartfelt tribute to people of all types, with the graduates performing and signing to Cyndi Lauper's "True Colors."
"Kindergarteners and rainbows … yep, we went there," their teacher, Arturo Avina, wrote on Facebook. "Watch the kids perform and sign Cyndi Lauper's classic anthem 'True Colors.' The message: love yourself, and always show love, kindness, and respect to others no matter who they are. Regardless of ethnicity, sex, gender, religious creed, or sexual orientation, EVERYONE is worthy of love."
At the beginning of the song, two kids held mirrors facing the audience with signs that read "You Are Good" and "You Are Perfect." Two messages that Avina made sure his students understood.
On a blog post, he noted that he didn't want them to just recite the song, but to know what it means.
"Addressing diversity isn't anything new in my classroom," Avina wrote, "and if the song's message really made it through to my students and they truly internalized the importance of universal love and respect, then that should automatically translate to inclusivity. If they're taught to love unconditionally, then they should understand that there is not one group of people that is the exception to the rule."
Watch the performance here:
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Aimed at Russian LGBT Youth
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! 2 hours 19 min ago
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport 2 hours 43 min ago
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 6:00 PM